The Vinnland socks have been almost done for 2 whole weeks. I finally realized that some quiet time, interrupted by neither beast nor man, had yet to magically occur. (Even as I typed the last sentence, the phone rang, the cat tried to sit on the computer, and a neighbor knocked on the door!) So this afternoon I barricaded myself in our spare room for an hour. Armed with the computer, some knitting tools, and, of course, some chocolate, I sat down to finish up.
My big plan was to learn how to do the "K2P2 Grafted Bind Off" from the pattern, and take photos to share what I learned. It didn't quite work out that way. I began to follow the instructions, and realized that the Grafted Bind Off is very similar to the kitchener stitch. Even though it is a bind off, not a seam, it is just like seaming. You divide the purl stitches and knit stitches onto 2 separate needles and then use a yarn needle to to draw the working yarn through the stitches in a set series of steps. I quickly realized that I was having a hard time maintaining even tension.
So, I decided to google "stretchy bind off for ribbing" and was amazed at all the choices that came up. After reading about a number of them, I settled on this one described in a post by Grumperina (scroll down past the 3rd photo to see her bind off instructions). She also included one of my favorite knitting tips: go up one needle size to avoid binding off too tightly.
I was a little worried at first that the cuff looks slightly flared, but I don't think it will when the sock is actually being worn.
You can see what I mean here:
But here is the sock on a sock blocker:
(My regular camera is on a trip with my son, I couldn't seem to get good pictures with the only other camera that was available.)
My goal was to finish with a stretchy bind off that still looks tidy, and I am pretty happy with the final product. I am off to wash and block them. Now I just hope they fit!