. . . but I might be running out of yarn. I can't stand the suspense, but I just have to keep knitting to find out if I have enough or not. Here it is:
The pattern (for my size) calls for 8 skeins of Classic Elite Montera which would add up to 1016 yds. I am substituting 6 skeins of Quince and Co. Osprey, which amounts to 1020 yds. I figured I would be cutting it close but that I would make it. Now I am starting to wonder. When I had just the button band and sleeves left to knit, I had 2 full skeins plus 1 partial skein. So I knit the button band first, hoping to have 1 full skein left for each sleeve. It didn't work out though, and I had less than 1 skein left when I started the 2nd sleeve.
I am crossing my fingers and hoping that if I just use what I have left and even out the sleeves, they will be long enough. Otherwise, I might be getting an opportunity to find out if the Quince and Co. yarn dye lots are consistent. Will I make it? It's high drama in the knitting world. . .
Meanwhile, I'm getting excited about delving into some Fall yarn dyeing. After my last post, we heard from our mushroom hunting friends that they found some Hawkwing mushrooms which I had asked them to keep an eye out for. I don't know when I will actually see them and get the mushrooms though.
But their success got us excited about mushroom hunting, so we took a day trip to the coast in hopes of finding some ourselves. We didn't find any yarn dyeing specimens, but I did find this great addition to my heart-shaped rock collection:
I couldn't stop thinking about dyeing yarn though. Luckily, when we got home, I realized our black walnut tree was beginning to drop walnuts in the back yard. I've gathered enough for a dye pot and had them soaking overnight.
I have just the yarn I want to use for a test batch, and if it works, there are plenty of walnuts for more dyeing. I'm heading out to buy some alum to use as mordant, which I read will produce a rich mahogany brown. I will share the results soon.