I started the year with an ambitious Bucket List, including a goal of knitting 12 pairs of socks in 2011. It's now past the middle of the year and I've only just completed my 4th pair of socks. (Okay, it's actually 3 and a half pairs, but I think that half counts!) I'm not exactly keeping up with my goal. But I am going to keep at it with a little help from my
The original idea behind the sock yarn plan, a la Yarn Harlot, is to focus on using yarn from the stash. Somehow, it's not exactly working out that way for me . Sock yarn seems to find it's way into my stash faster than I can knit it . . . not that I'm complaining!
1) I recently purchased this beautiful yarn from Tami of Candy Skein.
|Blueberry Cobbler sock yarn|
2) At Stitches West, I picked up yarn for Susan Luni's Burning Stripes socks. I'm even more excited about trying this pattern after knitting her Daylong Socks. Especially because it will mean learning something new: a "boomerang heel". I'm not even sure what that it is but it sounds fun.
3) I bought this skein in the colorway "Burnside Bridge" from the Portland, Oregon based hand-dyer Abstract Fibers. I want to make something for my sister, who lives in Portland and drives over the Burnside Bridge on a regular basis. Hmm, I wonder if she would prefer socks or a shawlette? I have been looking for an excuse to make another pair of Monkey socks ever since Cookie A republished the pattern with more size options.
|Abstract Fibers SuperSock in "Burnside Bridge"|
4) Last year my friend Angie gave me this pretty skein that came all the way from Artist's Palette Yarns in Worcestershire, England. She gifted me with a copy of the Carolina pattern as well, and I think the yarn and pattern are a great match.
5) For the second year in a row, my knitting group (and Stitches West partners-in-crime) all purchased the same sock yarn for a sock KAL. We ogled and fondled the yarn at the Miss Babs yarn booth for quite awhile before agreeing on some Windsor Sock Yarn. I had almost decided to knit Cookie A's Marlene socks, but then I saw her new pattern Asymmetrical Cables. I'm still undecided. Opinions anyone?
|Windsor Sock in "Clematis"|
I'm off to view some other WIPs at Tami's Amis. Hope to see you there!